Apple Facts for National Apple Month!
2. Two pounds of apples make one 9-inch pie
3. Apple blossom is the state flower of Michigan
4. 2500 varieties of apples are grown in the United States
5. 7500 varieties of apples are grown throughout the world
6. Apple contains 80-85% of water, 5% protein or nitrogenous material, 10-15% of carbonaceous matter including starch and sugar, and 1-1.5% of acids and salts
7. About 46 pounds of apples are eaten annually by Europeans
8. Apples ripen 6 to 10 times faster at room temperature then if they were refrigerated
9. A medium apple is about 80 calories
10. All apples have five seed pockets, each with a seed.
11. It takes 4-5 years before the apple tree produces its first fruit
1 1/2 C. wild rice
3 C. water
1/2 C. dried cranberries
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
1 Tbs. sugar
2 Granny Smith apples, cored and diced
1/4 C. slivered almonds, toasted
1. In a medium-sized bowl, rinse and drain the wild rice.
2. Bring 3 C. water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the rice. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until tender, about 45 minutes.
3. Stir in the dried cranberries. Remove from heat and let stand.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the oil, red wine vinegar and sugar.
5. In a large bowl, combine the rice and the diced apples. Add the oil mixture and toss. 6. Serve warm or cold on individual plates. Top with toasted slivered almonds.